Skip to main content

Six weeks old and BIG news

Hi Alexander,

I can't believe you're already six weeks old. Ok, technically you're six weeks and three days old. Caring for you hasn't given me a whole lot of time to write. It seems like just yesterday we brought you home. You have grown so much! You were born at 7 pounds and 10 oz. At six weeks, you weigh 11 pounds by my weighing method. I weighed myself then added you and subtracted the difference. You're also so long! I can't measure that myself but I know you filled out your swaddle now and are able the pillows behind me when I nurse you. In the early days, you fit in the crook of my arm and now, you dangle off the end. You smile intentionally and still have no problem letting your dad and I know when you want our attention. 

We had some adjusting to do this week. My six weeks of paid time off ended Wednesday and I had to decide whether to go back to work or take another six weeks off without pay. Initially, the plan was for me to take a full 12 weeks off. I figured if I am 37 and could not afford to take the time to bond with you then I seriously needed to evaluate my spending habits. Fortunately, I have a good nest egg built up, not only in cases of emergency but for your future. Then the coronavirus pandemic happened. Daddy was not working because the oil refinery is operating at a limited basis. I'm not complaining because it has been a silver lining to have daddy home with us the past six weeks. He loves on you so much. I decided to go back to work since we were still working from home until at least the end of July if not August. I also didn't have your daycare lined up until the end of July. Due to the pandemic, work gave me a few options. One option was to work 20 hours a week and use FMLA for 2/3 pay for 20 hours. After discussing it with your father, I decided on that option. This way, the whole family would still be covered by insurance and I would not have to tap into my savings to pay for it. Daddy was going to be home to help care for you too so it shouldn't be an issue to work four hours a day. Funny how things quickly changed though. I started back to work Thursday and Friday, he received a phone call that there was work at the refinery for the next two weeks. They are going to bring him back for the job and hopefully, that will snowball to more consistent jobs and he can stay on the payroll. If not, he can get back on unemployment. You, sir, are going to have to work with me on a good schedule so I can actually work.




Here is some BIG news. Mom and Dad are married! We got married Friday, June 5, 2020, at the Biloxi Visitors Center. We had planned to get married way before you were born but things just didn't work out that way. I'm glad to finally make it official. While the ceremony wasn't exactly as we planned, I am happy with the outcome. For years down the road, we can always point out to you where mom and dad tied the knot. I never wanted a traditional Vietnamese or even American style wedding. For one, my frugal self didn't feel the need to spend $50k to throw a party of hundreds of people I don't know, barely know or just didn't care for. That would be the Vietnamese style wedding. I'm sure you will be attending several of those growing up. I was thinking more along the lines of a backyard style wedding or a destination wedding with just your dad and I and perhaps one or two other people. I was also happy with just going out to the courthouse and getting married. Honestly, it's not where or how we were to be married. It's the promise your dad and I make to each other that day and living every day to fulfill that promise. I hope you grow up witnessing that.

Well that's it for now. I love you now and forever.

Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second ultrasound

I'm 9 weeks today. Your dad was able to come with me to my second appointment and he saw you for the first time. You're just starting to form limbs now.. and couldn't stop wiggling. At first, your dad thought the doctor was making you dance but he says, that's all you.. You were like a cartoon teddy-gram just dancing away. We also got to hear your heart beat. My heart skipped a beat hearing yours. It was strong and FAST too.  The doctor says my glucose is still a little high so he's switching my medication to make sure I'm in a healthy range.. so we both stay as healthy as possible. I figure I just have to watch my diet more. I haven't been going crazy but the bad days are days I indulged in carbs a bit more at lunch. I'm going to do all I can to make sure you are healthy from the jump. I love you, my nugget. 

Strange times: Coronavirus pandemic

Hi Alexander, It has been quite a while since I wrote to you here but these are strange times. You're actually strapped to me right now as I type this but that's how it goes these days. We are living in a pandemic. The coronavirus that causes the illness COVID-19 has caused much of the country to shut down for months. Your dad and I have been self-quarantining since mid-March. States are just reopening after officials shut it down to help slow the spread of the virus. Businesses were shuttered, schools closed and classes - for all ages - transitioned to online. I am sure you will learn about this time in school later on. It is an once in a century event. I wasn't planning on taking maternity photos but with all the time on the world on my hands I figured why not. I got dressed up, set up my phone on a tripod in the backyard and convinced your dad to take the photos. It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I know I will cherish them as time goes on. Here are some of